What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

How Fast Do You Type?

Cybergenius

Since, we are people that are interested in coding and the web generally. And we probably own forum(s) and or blog(s). I think it will be accurate if I say we also tend to participate on forums and blogs as well. All these make us type faster than an average person. And as they say practice makes perfect. The more you do something, the more you get better in it. So, its only normal for us to type relatively faster than the average person.

Well, my question is how fast do you type? For example I can go as 65WPM at this moment. And do you think typing fast is synonymous with coding.

Do you know a decent program which tests your typing speed for free? I'd be intrigued how many i could do because i think i type quite fast myself.

And i agree with the fact the more you do something, like typing, the better you get. I've definitely got faster over the years.

Last time I checked I was around 50 words per minute however I normally never type this fast because I am thinking as I type and rephrasing my sentences as opposed to in a typing speed test where you are simply copying the text from the line above.

I got about seventy words per minute. I doubt that's accurate, for the simple fact that the word typing checker i used didn't work correctly all the time, but it's close enough for me. That's about a word and a sixth every second, so I'm more than happy with it.

If you want to know how many words per minute you type check out the site http://10fastfingers.com/. Last night I give it a try and I typed 80 words per minute. Not to bad I guess.

I use http://typeracer.com and its alright. We could race each other sometime. But, I guess you'll beat me to it since you are faster. Nevertheless, I'm still going to check out 10fastfingers.

I think they can also use Marvis Beacon, but I'm not sure if its free.

I type pretty fast if I say so myself. I haven't yet calculated or noted my average speed but I assure you I type quite fast.

I think we all could race ourselves on typeracing websites to see who is the fastest. I'm betting bosconian or chikadinho would win.

I'm quite a fast typer, due to my experience and education (we had 'Typography' or whatever you call it). I've been typing for years now, and last 3-4 I am typing without even watching my keyboard. I can't say I'm the top here (or anywhere), but I am pretty satisfied with my typing skills. More than good enough for my needs.

I am not a fast typist- only 31 words a minute for me. I am self taught, and do not look at the keyboard....I have a lot of bad habits too.

I have a speed of 60 wpm. This is the reason most of the time, my Tester friends are jealous of me! :p
I think it is the matter of practice and anybody can attain that speed and rock it up! :)

It is useful in most of the scenarios when, there are test cases to be written, and also, some little modification in the code is required.

I can do 70 words per minute. It started when I learned to be a gamer. My hands always type so fast when I am chatting with my team mates. I don't know if this is a talent but it works naturally with my hands.

I've tried a race at TypeRacer and I did a 66 WPM on my first try. I think I'm above average but I'm not as fast as those who really spend most of their time typing in a keyboard.

I noticed some people above are asking for an application to test their typing speed. Here's a link to TypeRacer. Compete with others as you practice your typing. :)

http://play.typeracer.com/

I average 60 words per minute, not as fast as I want to be, and my fingers aren't really used to the supposed optimal positioning on the keyboard for faster typing. It's sort of a modified version and not all of my fingers are working and I constantly have to look at the keyboard and back to the screen to type properly.

I just did a trial at 10fastfingers and I ended up with 120 words per minute. I would expect my average is closer to about 70, unless I was copywriting in which case I would expect my average to shoot back up to maybe at least 100. I don't use entirely proper form, which I'm upset about because typing habits are so difficult to break free from. Obviously, though, my technique gets the job done for the most part. Accuracy is something that I need to work on as well.

Hi. As far as I know, I can do 100 words per minute and I am currently practicing on typing without looking on my keyboard. I know there is a right way on placing your fingers on some letter keys but I'm not used to it so I have my own way of typing and I think I do fine. It is just now that I'm practicing typing without looking on my keyboard so I can type more words than my usual count per minute. It feels really great when you already good at using your keyboard.

It depends on my finger placement. When I do the proper way of placing your fingers in the keyboard, I go at a rate of about 60 wpm but when I don't, it's usually 100 wpm. I'm just not used to using my pinky as well as ring finger. I know it's a habit that I have to eliminate because I know I will look more professional following the proper way of typing. But I don't know, I just sucked at it. Whenever I try, I go at a much slower pace and it eventually wears my patience. I tried practicing in typingtutor and typingmaster though and I observed little bits on improvement like using my thumb to press the space bar at all times. I'm looking forward to improving my typing skills this year though. Also, typing fast is not exactly synonymous to coding. I know there are a lot of misinterpretations or expectations because of the movies where we see a hacker's fingers flying over the keyboard like it was nothing but coding deals more with logic. And one symbol could change the whole project you are working on so instead of going fast, coding is more on precision and accuracy of the symbols.

Hi. As far as I know, I can do 100 words per minute and I am currently practicing on typing without looking on my keyboard. I know there is a right way on placing your fingers on some letter keys but I'm not used to it so I have my own way of typing and I think I do fine. It is just now that I'm practicing typing without looking on my keyboard so I can type more words than my usual count per minute. It feels really great when you already good at using your keyboard.

100 words per minute and still looking at to your keyboard? That's really amazing. What more if you're not looking at your keyboard while typing? I can only type 60 to 65 words per minute, with 98 to 99% accuracy but I'm not looking at my keyboard anymore. You're gonna be a good typist with that.

My record is 70 words per minute. I type fast enough to transcribe a not fast speech but slow enough to think that I am going to say and why. My speed lets me begin typing instantly as soon as I see the question, as I can make up the answer while typing.
I do not think that a very fast speed of typing is good for coding, as I should have enough time to check everything up while typing not to make any mistakes. It depends on a person and on his speed of thinking.

My speed in typing matters with the type of keyboard that I used. When I type with the built-in keyboard of the laptop, I type quite slow but when I use the external keyboard just like on the desktop, I rate myself in an above average speed.

Back