What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

How Often Do You Code?

Cybergenius

I really don't know where to post this, I guess I should just post it here.
So, its been more than two years since I did any serious coding and or learning of any web technologies(scripting languages) last. I do love to code but I've so many things I need to do every day that steal my time from me. One too many times, I would have started learning. Then, realized I've other imperative stuffs to handle. This is really sad as I really want to learn but I've just too many things that won't allow me.

So, my question is this; how often do you code, even when you've other important things you are doing? And do you code at the expense of your sleep or how do you balance sleep, other things, and coding?

Last edited:
I really don't know where to post this, I guess I should just post it here.
So, its been more than two years since I did any serious coding and or learning of any web technologies(scripting languages) last. I do love to code but I've so many things I need to do every day that steal my time from me. One too many times, I would have started learning. Then, realized I've other imperative stuffs to handle. This is really sad as I really want to learn but I've just too many things that won't allow me.

So, my question is this; how often do you code, even when you've other important things you are doing? And do you code at the expense of your sleep or how do balance sleep, other things, and coding?

Well when I'm in school (computer engineering) I do some type of coding at least a few times a week however now that I'm on break and not working at a coding job I am doing it much less however I do do some web design work on the side so its not like I have gone completely cold turkey.

I try to program at least once a week. I'm currently working on my own website. The problem is that I'm a high school student and I have a lot of work piled on. I've been able to program more because it's the summer, but I still have summer classes and other obligations. Hopefully I can finish my website soon so I can start playing around with Rails and Python. When I'm working on an interesting programming project, I'll let it cut into my sleep, but when I get bored I tend to drop projects pretty quickly. I really need to work on finishing projects that I start.

I'm just like you Cybergenius. Sometimes I don't seem to find the time to do what I want. I haven't done any real coding for about 4 months. This last week I tried to just sit down and code at least for 20 minutes at nights. It seems it's working. I hope this will help me get back on track and finish my website in a couple of weeks.

I code only when it's absolutely necessary to do it. I use Wordpress for all my website needs. It saves me the trouble to introduce code with plugins coming into the picture.

Well when I'm in school (computer engineering) I do some type of coding at least a few times a week however now that I'm on break and not working at a coding job I am doing it much less however I do do some web design work on the side so its not like I have gone completely cold turkey.
When I'm in school I do a little as well. Although, I've extra time but friends just want one to hang out with them. Also, I tend to get unwanted visitors quite often in school. However, I guess if I was doing a course like computer Science, I'd code very often.

But, at home is just a whole different scenario; I've to help out at home and with my personal obligations, is just almost not possible to code. They also tend to need me so often that If I was trying to code before, I'll just lose interest totally.

When I'm in school I do a little as well. Although, I've extra time but friends just want one to hang out with them. Also, I tend to get unwanted visitors quite often in school. However, I guess if I was doing a course like computer Science, I'd code very often.

But, at home is just a whole different scenario; I've to help out at home and with my personal obligations, is just almost not possible to code. They also tend to need me so often that If I was trying to code before, I'll just lose interest totally.

I have a similar problem. I work full-time during the day and when I get home I want to spend some time with my wife and daughter. That's why I code late at nights when there's nothing else to be done around.

I try to program at least once a week. I'm currently working on my own website. The problem is that I'm a high school student and I have a lot of work piled on. I've been able to program more because it's the summer, but I still have summer classes and other obligations. Hopefully I can finish my website soon so I can start playing around with Rails and Python. When I'm working on an interesting programming project, I'll let it cut into my sleep, but when I get bored I tend to drop projects pretty quickly. I really need to work on finishing projects that I start.

Yeah, I totally understand. As a I high school student you have assignments and books to read. This is not really easy to combine with coding as one is probably a heavy gamer on the side. I started when I was a high school student. It was hard at first because I had to read books, pass excellently, play games and all that. But, as time goes on I lost interest in books and I gave up 80% of my night sleep. Although, I quit for a while in grade 11.
And about the projects getting boring, it do happen. I think you just have to stop and pick it up another day. Its like when one is not getting some codes right, one tends to get bored. But, when everything is going right, then we enter a phase, psychologists call 'flow'. Practically, when we lost ourselves in what we are doing.

However, I think I'm a different person from who I was in my high school days. Obligation wise of course. Now, I've more obligations. People have more expectations from me. And I can't just give up my sleep regularly like before 'cause it would affect my effectiveness the next day.
I still pull up an all-nighter though. But, just once in a while.

I'm just like you Cybergenius. Sometimes I don't seem to find the time to do what I want. I haven't done any real coding for about 4 months. This last week I tried to just sit down and code at least for 20 minutes at nights. It seems it's working. I hope this will help me get back on track and finish my website in a couple of weeks.

Yeah! We are kind of the same. I think I'm going to have to borrow your 20minutes all nights method. But, mine would be 1 hour every night no matter what. I'm feeling like it or not. Tired or not.

I code only when it's absolutely necessary to do it. I use Wordpress for all my website needs. It saves me the trouble to introduce code with plugins coming into the picture.

I wish I were like you, that I don't have to worry about working all the back-ends myself. . . I always feel the need to be able to do everything myself. So, I really don't feel good using CMS and not able to tweak it to a greater extent or even create my own plugins for that particular CMS.

Yeah! We are kind of the same. I think I'm going to have to borrow your 20minutes all nights method. But, mine would be 1 hour every night no matter what. I'm feeling like it or not. Tired or not.

I'm doing fine with 20 minutes although there's not much that I can acomplish within that time constrain. I'm just trying to develop a habit.

I'm doing fine with 20 minutes although there's not much that I can acomplish within that time constrain. I'm just trying to develop a habit.

Yeah! Its good though. I'm sure very soon you'd increase it. Its just like something to keep the spirit moving.

I tend to do coding every weekend.
Having some kind of experience in IT, I am more into analysis and stuff, but just as a hobby, I do HTML coding.

I think this is very important as far as analysis of whole system is concerned. You actually start developing a software system from very basic, i.e. coding. Also, it keeps your logical thinking on the track! :)

When I was still in University, I code almost every day. The pace at which we learn many programming subjects is hard so we had to practice on our free time after class to cope with it. After graduating, I only code if I need to build an application for my personal needs. I might go and apply for a developer job if I get bored with my current post. :ROFLMAO:

Back