What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

When did you start using HTML and Why?

attagirl

When did you start using HTML and Why? How did you learn?

I started using HTML in the early to mid 90's. Back before there were WYSIWYG editors. HTML coding was the only way you could code that I was aware of for a few years. I was interested in learning so I started looking at the code and then copy it and play with it to see what I could change and what I could not. Within a short period of time I was able to find places that offered sample HTML code that you could use, and it did not take long to create my first Music website.

How about the rest of you?

I started 2008 in college level but that time I was not to aware about use of HTML. And when was joined my first job then that time I was really know the importance of HTML.

I started HTML during the popular days of Friendster and Myspace creating my own custom design profiles and I am not aware that I am already doing HTML and CSS at that time. I learned with the help of tutorials around the internet on how to create custom layouts for Friendster and Myspace. Since then, I delved into learning more and created my first ever website with the help of Dreamweaver.

I started learning HTML back in high school simply because the teacher required us to learn it. It was in the curriculum. The basics were simple enough. I learned the rest on my own.

I started learning HTML when I was in junior high because I wanted to learn to create websites, however, I never followed through. I did use the html I learned to my advantage when I wanted to create forum posts or emails that had special features. That being said, this last year I dabbled in it some more and am considering learning it again. If I go forward I would like to learn it for front end development because my husband is a back end developer and I like the design side more than I do the databases.

HTML was not new to me when I started using it for practical purposes. The first difficulty I faced was including text in web pages at specific locations. I then wanted to know how to include profile signatures and create fancy-looking profiles to appear at the end of each post comment. That set the ball rolling. Now, I try to use HTML whenever I need to present content, which otherwise cannot be included as normal entries.

I started in 2000 when HTML 4 was the big thing :p

I was really interested in this booming market and wanted to see first-hand the things possible on the web

I started using HTML back in high school at age 13+ or thereabout. While looking for ways to build my own website, I came across some webmaster page that had discussions about HTML. And before I knew it, I was reading source codes because I didn't know where to learn HTML from. But, later on, I realized I needed more than HTML before I could build a nice looking website. Although, I made some ok looking site back then(2007).

Last edited:
I was really into one of the first online MMORPGs and decided to build a guild page. It was pretty ugly and of course relied on tables for layout, but this was before CSS.

I just started not long ago. I was interested in making custom tumblr pages, and eventually decided to just learn online, and teach myself.

My first experience with HTML was when I was at work 5 years ago. I was assigned to a new team and one of the tasks that they do was updating News web pages for our clients website. Having no knowledge of HTML, I subscribed to the Safari Online library and read an online book on HTML there. From then on, I was able to make updates on the webpages with ease. I'm still studying HTML with the hope of making a complete website soon.

I started using HTML back in High School. It was a requirement in our Computer class. None of us know what HTML is and the geeks in class including me enjoyed learning it. It was a short glimpse of my University years where I will be spending most of my time writing codes/programs. :)

I started using HTML back in High School. It was a requirement in our Computer class. None of us know what HTML is and the geeks in class including me enjoyed learning it. It was a short glimpse of my University years where I will be spending most of my time writing codes/programs. :)
Nice. You have already learning html during your high school days. I think if we have a computer class too way back, maybe I enjoy my high school days. My first encounter of html is when I am in college already. Nevertheless, learning html is really fun no matter where and when we start learning it.

Nice. You have already learning html during your high school days. I think if we have a computer class too way back, maybe I enjoy my high school days. My first encounter of html is when I am in college already. Nevertheless, learning html is really fun no matter where and when we start learning it.
The HTML lessons our high school teacher taught was really basic though. :D

I almost forgot most of HTML's syntax it when we had the lessons in University again. I had to relearn it together with CSS to finish our first requirement. :)

I can't even remember, to be honest with you. I think it might have been when I was around 8 or 9 and I started to like creating my own forums. Before that, I had always used Forumotion and had very little knowledge of things like HTML or even CSS. But when I found out about MyBB and how you could customise the templates, I started to try and learn more about HTML and CSS codes so that I could make my forum look a bit more unique and special for my members.

Back