What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Free or Paid host?

fermlour

Hello I wonder if you guys use free or paid host.
I usually use free host for my websites always end up closing. xD

I always use paid hosting. Although it does cost money, the very small cost ($3-5 a month) is worth the reliability and speed that a paid host offers. That being said I do use free domain names sometimes.

I am wondering about the same thing too. I heard some hosts that provide free services put advertisements on your page, which could potentially scare off visitors and slows down page loading time. If the loading time takes too long, some people may click away from your site. I think a paid host is a good investment for some people who are serious about their webpage.

Nowadays you can buy a decent VPS for $7 a month. Install a free control panel and you could have your own reseller operation. It's definitely worth spending a few dollars if you're serious about your websites.

Free host closing? That depends on which free host you are using. And how you are using the free host. I have used some free hosts years ago. Lately I went surfing for free hosts and found a few still operating. In fact, they have grown much bigger. So they definitely didn't shut down. Of course, if you abuse the resources, you, not the provider, will get shut down. Even if you are on a paid host, you will still get shut down if you abuse the resources. Mind you, I am not saying that you did. btw I found a cloud host running on SSD at a very reasonable price. You can look for them at Digital Ocean. Just 5usd for 512mb ram and 20Gb SSD space. Plus while developing the site, you can shut it down when you are not working on it. That would save you some money, too.

Nowadays you can buy a decent VPS for $7 a month. Install a free control panel and you could have your own reseller operation. It's definitely worth spending a few dollars if you're serious about your websites.

Indeed. If you're serious about owning a website, then paid hosting is the way to go. You can find several VPS's for very reasonable prices.

Free hostings are, most of the times, a bad choice, especially because of all the downtimes your site can experience.

Using a free host will get you nowhere! A free host may sound like a good idea but once you start to get active, I bet you anything, your website will get slower or you will be emailed warnings about using too many resources and offered to upgrade to a paid account. This is the same with free forum hosting, free blog hosting and so on. You are better off paying for hosting and not having to worry about it. I run dedicated servers... I pay more than $100 each month but I get fast websites with plenty of room to make more :)

Is that possible? :O The $ 7 per month? :O only? :O
sorry for my reaction but I'm shocked!

7usd for a vps? Why not? The cheapest vps I have ever used costs me only 00.99usd per month. It had only 64Mb ram. What can I do with 64Mb ram? Plenty of things. Especially like learning how to set up a super small server. Unfortunately that service is not running anymore.

For 7usd I can get a vps with 1Gb ram. Not all the time, though. I have to wait for the seasonal discounts to get this kind of price. And I am not talking about some fly-by-night company. Some reliable companies do this once in a while just for the fun of it. However you cannot find their offers even on their sites. This type of special offer is only made to members of WebHostingTalk. Go and lurk there to get some.

I use free hosting with free subdomain (preferably 000webost) for new websites with a little magic SEO.
If I see success coming, I transfer everything to my paid hosting and buy a new domain (with the free subdomain redirected to the new domain).
And real hard work SEO, tactics, promos, giveaways, hot content and other strategies to make it more successful.

Free Hosting is good for your wallet but bad for uptime. I think paid hosting is the way to go. Especially considering when you go paid, you get access to their affiliate area. Where you can make money through your host.

Free hosting just doesn't work in my experience it's slow and it's down all the time. Paying some money for your hosting services is definitely worth it, and it's cheap as hell anyway.

I would never use free hosting nowadays. There's really no reason to when there are so many good hosts out there that do not charge a lot of money at all. Free hosting used to be pretty good in the first days of the Internet, but scammers, etc. have made it crap nowadays.

I'm using 000webhost which is a free hosting that offers 1500 MB of disk space, 100 GB of monthly transfer and according to their website 99% uptime guaranteed. Right now I'm hosting a site with them but it does not drive much traffic. I hope they are as reliable as they say.

000webhost is good free host for websites. Their uptime is good. They get hit by DDOS attacks often sometimes though. Script kiddies. But other than that they rock. They're not good for forum hosting. Websites like html, etc sure. But your forum be it vb, phbb, or IPBoard, need to be on a paid host.

I wish you luck with 000webhost. You might do pretty well with it. I would still consider putting a bit of money to the side to spring for a good paid plan though.

I use paid hosting for my profitable sites. I never indulge my successful websites to be hosted on free hostings. I have free webhosting accounts especially on 000webhost which I use for testing purposes only before employing everything to my paid hosting. With testing my sites on what works best on free webhosting, it will minimize the nature of complications for my site once it is already hosted on my paid hosting.

I use a paid Linux VPS for my hosting. I pay about 5$ a month for it and I set it up to run all your basic web hosting software and then some. I don't use it for commercial purposes though, I just mainly use it as a place to test out my webpages, and maybe host some interesting animations, models, or source codes I've made to show to friends.

Victor Leigh are you for real about a VPS with 1 GB of RAM for 7 USD a month? That sounds sweet. Where can I find one of those?

I wish you luck with 000webhost. You might do pretty well with it. I would still consider putting a bit of money to the side to spring for a good paid plan though.

000webhost has a paid plan as well. Which I am currently using. And setting up your own domain with them is a snap too. I did it in like an hour or less if I remember correctly.

Back