What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Can you recommend a good tutorial or book on PHP?

bosconian

Hello, I'm learning PHP and wanted to know if you can recommend me a good tutorial or book. I want to learn how to use object orientation and also the MVC. What I know of PHP I learned by reading "PHP and MySQL for dummies" so you can imagine I have some background on both PHP and MySQL but maybe not a solid one.

What can you recommend to me and any interested on learning PHP?

Thank you.

Codeacademy offers some free courses on PHP, but they might be too simple for you at this point. It's still worth a look, though, if you're not already aware of the site. They have some additional courses and projects outside of the main courses offered, as well. Plus, I'm sure they will adding more advanced courses over time. It's a great way to learn, I think.

I didn't knew of Codeacademy. I will check it out and see what the PHP course looks like. If there are project outside the main courses it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the pointer.

There are also a lot of videos on YouTube which teach you PHP. I wish I had those when I was using the language. Shows you step by step ow to do certain things and they also have videos which show you how to build a whole web application. Much better than buying a book.

Most of the books and stuff on the Internet does not teach you how to use the OOPs in PHP for building a website. Recently I found a site - tuxradar - http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp/ - it is an online PHP learning book ( a good one) and it also has a few pages on how to make a website using Object oriented PHP. I am not sure how good that segment is as I am yet to read that part. I am currently on chapter 4 there. You can hop on to that site too and learn. It is completely free and a complete book on PHP which they have put online.

You are right about Youtube. There's pretty much everything we need to learn whatever we want. But there's also a problem there. It's easy to find video tutorials but it's hard to tell wheter a tutorial is good or not. Do you know of one that you can recommend?

Hello, I'm learning PHP and wanted to know if you can recommend me a good tutorial or book. I want to learn how to use object orientation and also the MVC. What I know of PHP I learned by reading "PHP and MySQL for dummies" so you can imagine I have some background on both PHP and MySQL but maybe not a solid one.

What can you recommend to me and any interested on learning PHP?

Thank you.
Head First PHP & MySQL – by Lynn Beighley & Michael Morrison. This PHPfor beginners book is the ultimate learning guide to build dynamic and database-driven websites. Encompassing real-world examples, it teaches you all the must-haves of server-side programming.

Head First PHP & MySQL – by Lynn Beighley & Michael Morrison. This PHPfor beginners book is the ultimate learning guide to build dynamic and database-driven websites. Encompassing real-world examples, it teaches you all the must-haves of server-side programming.

Thank you. I was looking for something similar myself. I have been away from PHP for way too long and don't fancy starting the Udemy course I was doing again. A book is an ideal way for me to get my foot back in the door. Thanks again.

Back