What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Browser query

NooBee

Hello. Does it matter what browser to use when we are making websites? I mean... and I apologize for being a newbie here. Tried the search forum option and did not find a thread that answered my question. Thanks for your help.

Yes it does. Browser compatibility is a common issue with web development. Since you're a newbie, you can visit W3schools.com. They have a list of most, if not all, html tags and which browsers they work on.

Hello. Does it matter what browser to use when we are making websites? I mean... and I apologize for being a newbie here. Tried the search forum option and did not find a thread that answered my question. Thanks for your help.

You must test out IE 8,9,10, Firefox, Safari and Chrome (make sure it looks the same). There are less issues now that IE6 is pretty much gone but you'll want to hold back on HTML5 and CSS3 if you can't get your design to function without them.

99.9% of HTML is rendered the same on all browsers. The advent of HTML5 has made things a little complicated for earlier (older browsers) but then there are hacks available for using these new tags/elements of HTML 5 for older browsers. That said, still, when we talk of complete websites, it is the CSS which makes things look different on different browsers. Say for instance, the look and feel on Firefox and Internet Explorer gets very much different. And for making things homogenous, the term - cross browser compatibility - and for this you might have to modify the CSS or even use some javascript.

Note that today most of the people use newer browsers but still all of the HTML5 and even the CSS3 is not yet fully implemented on all browsers.

Back