What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Banner Advertising - Pros and Cons

Jasonn

One pro is the fact that its quality traffic. I mean, it's not like some redirected or pop-up traffic where the quality and even the real nature :D (sometimes bots are used) is a question. Anyway, though, the con is that you might be able to get a better deal with quality pay-per-click, stuff like BingAds, Facebook, or AdWords. So, how would you rate banner traffic against those guys?

Last edited:
The biggest problem for me, with banner advertising, is that it's not always the most effective way of marketing and promotion. And the reason why it's not effective is that very rarely will people actually spend time looking at your banner, with the majority of people that see it not even bothering to click on it. The only way you can overcome this is to make sure that your banner is interesting and looks good enough to get the users attention. But even then, you just won't get as much exposure and clicks as other advertising things. It's not exactly cheap to buy banner advertising spots either.

I definitely agree with @Ash . As an internet user myself, whenever I see banner ads, if I see an X mark I always end up clicking those because I find banners irritating. I actually always do that on YouTube although I feel sorry for some advertisers who paid for it and then I (a consumer myself) always neglect it. However, I actually believe that even though some and I as well does always neglect banners, I actually sometimes remember the ads and whenever I see it in an online shopping mall or in a physical shop I sometimes end up buying the product that was advertised. However, those are just for consumable products and does not really apply for all that is advertised via banners.

It's not exactly cheap to buy banner advertising spots either.

I've not seen that to be the case. I mean, have you seen what PPC (like BingAds or AdWords) cost?

I definitely agree with @Ash . As an internet user myself, whenever I see banner ads, if I see an X mark I always end up clicking those because I find banners irritating. I actually always do that on YouTube although I feel sorry for some advertisers who paid for it and then I (a consumer myself) always neglect it

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical about it too. That's why if I had a forum or blog (for most niches), I'd want a marketplace section, not a bunch of banner ads, or even Adsense ones.

Yeah said:
I definitely agree with you in terms of blogs and blogging. I'm actually a member of so many blogs and what I hate about other blogs is that they have so much banner ads and it's just very irritating and kind of distracting. For me, banner ads destroy the beauty of the theme/design of a blog (no offense to blog owners and banner ad designers tho).

One advantage of banner advertising is that it is very easy to put together a banner design because you don't have to bother with a lot of cool formats. Most banners are mostly straight to the point and contains a minimum amount of words. Also, putting up a banner on a website is as easy as 1, 2, 3. You don't have to be a web development god to be able to do that. Despite those advantages, I still think the disadvantage outweighs them. And that is since banner ads are the most popular way of advertising online, the viewers are so used to them that they have no problem ignoring them. Personally, I don't look at banner ads whenever I'm online. I'm always skeptical about them and for some reasons, I always associate them with scams. Now, I've learned to just completely ignore them as if they weren't there in the first place.

I think everyone has forgotten to mention ad-blockers. Anyway, I think the solution to get around this mess is with link ads. In other words, the ad can be placed as a link on the forum that looks like a forum gateway. Has anyone encountered anything like that?

Well, it is what it is and we still see a lot of it in the net all the time. Then there came the ad-blockers. Banner ads has their limitations, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. It sucks though.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of the banner is that it tends to make economic, compared with advertising on television or radio, it tends to attract more potential clients, it can be applied in different applications, which makes is very visible to many people, the negative may be currently on the internet a large saturation of this kind of propaganda there is what makes that people will ignore any. ;);)

Visitor Experience - People are used to seeing banner ads on websites, and generally view them as one of the least intrusive advertising formats. The average website visitor is less likely to have a negative reaction to a banner ad than they would have with a pop-up, a fly-in or an interstitial ad.

Back