What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Why learn Jquery

Melvin

Jquery is a library and javascript is the coding language. Basically Jquery makes it easier for you to do certain functions. INstead of writing 20 lines of javascript code to show/hide a div, you could use jquery and use one line instead. I'll advise you to learn jquery after you learn javascript because it will be easier for you to understand the concepts. If you're looking for good tutorials, check out w3schools. You should also get into the jquery IRC to get your questions answered.

It is also the most popular of the large JavaScript libraries and prepackaged with a large assortment of content management systems by default.

jQuery is 10 times easier to use than javascript. Most of the predefined functions are live savers. Even only 1 line of jQuery can do what 10 lines of javascript can. Their documentation is really well organized too, so it's very easy to find exactly what you're looking for in their website.

I'm looking to learn JavaScript and jQuery, does anyone any good websites or guides to learn it all? I don't really like w3schools for guides as they are quite repetitive for me. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm looking to learn JavaScript and jQuery, does anyone any good websites or guides to learn it all? I don't really like w3schools for guides as they are quite repetitive for me. Anyone have any ideas?
You can try thenewboston(dot)com he has lots of free coding tutorials

In my opinion, learning jQuery is one of the most useful things you can do with your time these days. jQuery removes countless headaches when dealing with cross browser issues and provides a great model for navigating the DOM. Also, it helps give the user a better understanding of javascript in general, and functions as first class citizens.

If you are going to learn only one framework/library, it have to be jQuery. Also, there's the new jQuery mobile which has a lot of functions to make websites adapted to mobile devices. If you are afraid that your server it's going to have more files to fetch, you can always use the direct link of jQuery from google and their servers will take care of jQuery.

For my own projects I use javascript and write everything from scratch, but for work I prefer jQuery. With jQuery you can get work done several times faster than writing everything from scratch. But for my own projects I can spend as many time as I want to.

I love jQuery but the syntax takes some getting used to, especially if you mostly have PHP experience. You can do some pretty cool stuff though and indeed it is much more convenient then javascript.

Last edited:
I m very much a beginner in JQuery and yet i do feel that JQuery is much simler than raw JavaScript,even thiugh i do accept that basically JQuery too is JAvaScript. I 100% agree with ur article.Jquery really is fun to code with.

jQuery is 10 times easier to use than javascript. Most of the predefined functions are live savers. Even only 1 line of jQuery can do what 10 lines of javascript can. Their documentation is really well organized too, so it's very easy to find exactly what you're looking for in their website.

Exactly, so so powerful. Also jQuery's popularity makes it even easier a lot of content management systems already include jQuery for some of their front end functions.

You can try thenewboston(dot)com he has lots of free coding tutorials

+1 to this, I learned Python from thenewboston tutorials. That guy has a hell of a lot of videos.

I'm finally beginning to study javascript and I think I will get a solid grasp of it before trying to make things easier. I want the power of understanding and the ability to customize things to meet my needs.

It makes creating JS scripts easier and shorter. It may take a while learning it because the syntax may be slightly different from vanilla JavaScript. It is worth it to learn it.

The purpose of jQuery is to make it much easier to use JavaScript on your website and The library jQuery sole purpose is to make writing code easier and also simplifies a lot of the complicated things from JavaScript, like AJAX calls and DOM manipulation. The jQuery library contains some features HTML/DOM manipulation.

Back