What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

how much do you charge per hour vs experience?

janvanaa

Hello I'm rather new here and was curious how much you guys charge to a customer per hour? I've been at it for about a year now (no previous experience or education in webdesign). I've created 2 webshops and several one page websites so i consider myself 'somewhat experienced'. Now i usually charge 25 euros an hour. What do you guys think, is this reasonable? What do you guys charge and how much experience do you have? Looking forward to your replies.

I have never charged by the hour because it doesn't fit in with the way I live. When I do a job, I do it on a fixed price basis. If it's a small job, I will collect on completion of the job. If it's a big job, I will negotiate for a start-up payment plus milestone payments.

Charge what you think you deserve for the money and then give your client a price quote; if he agrees, get to work, and if he doesn't, negotiate. That's why I have done with most of my clients. I do all kinds of things (nothing sexual, only graphic design, coding and general marketing advice), and I always make sure to speculate how tough it'll be to get something done and then come up with a price for that.

OK, thanks for the feedback guys, I geuss charging a fixed price kind of makes sense, but you're still calculating you're fixed price on the amount of hours you put in right?

I've been thinking about just selling three different packages. One for 500, one for 1000 and one for 1500 euro's (or more for really big projects, but i haven't had those yet). A friend told me he does it like that, because you make choices easier on the customers which they'll appreciate.

I´ll be putting these packages together the coming days and post them when I´ve made up my mind.

OK, thanks for the feedback guys, I geuss charging a fixed price kind of makes sense, but you're still calculating you're fixed price on the amount of hours you put in right?

I've been thinking about just selling three different packages. One for 500, one for 1000 and one for 1500 euro's (or more for really big projects, but i haven't had those yet). A friend told me he does it like that, because you make choices easier on the customers which they'll appreciate.

I´ll be putting these packages together the coming days and post them when I´ve made up my mind.

Yes, you calculate your fixed price according to your estimate of how many hours you need to finish the job. Plus extra time for making changes after delivering the job. Don't forget to include after-sales service in your fixed price. You can make it such that there is a residual hold-over amount of money which the client will pay to you after, say, 30 days after you deliver your job. This is your after-sales service payment even though you don't put it that way to the client.

I think fixed prices would be much better because customers could understand what amount they will pay before you start working for them.

IMO,a start-up payment plus milestone payments may be a good payment method.its more reasonable to get remuneration according to the performance in the working process.Both can get security from this payment.

Hello I'm rather new here and was curious how much you guys charge to a customer per hour? I've been at it for about a year now (no previous experience or education in webdesign). I've created 2 webshops and several one page websites so i consider myself 'somewhat experienced'. Now i usually charge 25 euros an hour. What do you guys think, is this reasonable? What do you guys charge and how much experience do you have? Looking forward to your replies.

Yes, that does sound reasonable to me. What type of stuff do you normally do? Because even setting up or installing basic software does require a certain level of expertise.

I generally charge fixed prices. I'm an editor more than anything, but I still rarely charge by the hour. Usually the difficulty corresponds to the amount I charge, so I suppose, in a roundabout way, I charge by the hour, but I don't have a set price.

Sometimes when I ask for someone to do work for me they ask me my budget!
I think this is the wrong approach.
I have no idea what things will cost, so how can I budget.
I want to buy a new car, I am on a retirement pension, so my budget is $2,000
Then I find out they are $30,000

There is also the question of where you are from.
Eg are you a programmer in the USA or India or Pakistan?
$100 is not much in the USA, but in Pakistan it may feed your family for a month

Back