What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Edit any website using javascript

Wrong

Here's an simple javascript snippet you can use to edit any website: insert any text anywhere you want, move images around or just f*ck the layout up.

Note that these changes do not actually get saved, so if you refresh the page, things get back to normal.

Copy the following and paste it on your URL bar (replacing the URL there), then hit the Enter key, and have fun.

Code:
javascript: document.body.contentEditable = 'true'; document.designMode = 'on'; void 0

Here's an simple javascript snippet you can use to edit any website: insert any text anywhere you want, move images around or just f*ck the layout up.

Note that these changes do not actually get saved, so if you refresh the page, things get back to normal.

Copy the following and paste it on your URL bar (replacing the URL there), then hit the Enter key, and have fun.

Code:
javascript: document.body.contentEditable = 'true'; document.designMode = 'on'; void 0

Thanks! I just fooled some friends with this... They thought I was hacking facebook while defacing the site right in front of their eyes! :)

Firefox and Chrome support webpage editing, just press (ctrl + shift + i)

Yup, you can screw things up with the console too, but it's not as interactive as this. You can edit the whole page as if it was a Word document, without needing any coding knowledge (which you do in order to edit the code through the console).

I have encountered quite a number of steps directing those who care to follow them on how to edit website on several pages on the internet but none ever worked on my browser.
I would like to sound that I don't like this idea or I don't have use for it. Of course not! I like to have something all-time not working this day, then down the next.
I challenge anyone on this forum to post as a reply, steps or URL that help me effectively edit a web page

Make sure your bookmarks bar is visible
Select the text below javascript document.body.contentEditable true; void 0;
Drag the selected text into your bookmarks bar
Click that bookmark button and start editing the text on any page.

Back