What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Dreamweaver any good?

apriapism

So I wanted to get into CSS. And I heard of this program called dream weaver, has anyone had any sort of experience with it? Is it a good way to get into the basics of CSS?

I learned HTML through Dreamweaver, it's very in depth. I took a half-year class on HTML, and the whole thing was using Dreamweaver. There are two ways you can learn:
1. Writing out the code, then testing the code to see if it looks like it's supposed to
2. Doing the whole site with tables and basically designing it live

Dreamweaver is usually intended for people getting started with coding or those that need premade templates to have their sites done and up quickly. If you're not very familiar with HTML/CSS/javascript, DW can be pretty helpful.

Yeah, I'm still playing around with DW, haven't exactly graduated past that at all. But hey, that's why I'm here. Improvement and learning and practice.

Sounds great, I'm not that great when it comes to typing up my codes. My college offers a semester class to learn how to use it and I was thinking of giving it a try.

I don't recommend you to use Dreamweaver. Nowadays is seen as a beginner program. Take a look to Sublime Text 2, is one of the best text editors for web development. It has code highlight for a lot of languages and you can install a lot of plugins to enhance your experience using it.

I used it when i just started out, the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get interface was nice at the time. But its an adobe product which i dont like. I'd rather have something open source. Lately I've been doing all my development with netbeans. I highly recommend it.

I don't like Dreamweaver, but I wouldn't say that I dislike it either. It is a good program to use for beginners, but you are eventually going to have to move on.

I don't recommend you to use Dreamweaver. Nowadays is seen as a beginner program. Take a look to Sublime Text 2, is one of the best text editors for web development. It has code highlight for a lot of languages and you can install a lot of plugins to enhance your experience using it.
Sounds promising, I think I'll take a look into it. thanks.

Well it is really good, you don't really need to know CSS to use it either. You should learn CSS though. Dreamweaver will not do everything, and I've came across many errors that I had to fix by manually editing the code. You won't learn anything either if you're just using Dreamweaver, and isn't that all web developers strive to do in the end? Learn?

I've used it before and I would say to stay away from it entirely. There is literally no need for it these days with content management systems doing all of what Dreamweaver used to do.

So I wanted to get into CSS. And I heard of this program called dream weaver, has anyone had any sort of experience with it? Is it a good way to get into the basics of CSS?
Dreamweaver is a great learning tool. Definitely youll learn a lot about CSS using this tool.
Just always look at the codes often shifting from web view to familiarize yourself on what you are doing.

I used it when i just started out, the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get interface was nice at the time. But its an adobe product which i dont like. I'd rather have something open source. Lately I've been doing all my development with netbeans. I highly recommend it.
I also have discovered another open source WYSIWYG web page program but I havent yet tried it to the fullest but it looks promising.
Its called KompoZer, you may also want to try it out.

Dreamweaver is a decent program to use, when starting out, that is. You can build the website by dragging and dropping what you want and look at the code to get a good idea of how it works. The problem with WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) software is that it creates very bulky and sometimes unnecessary code. There are better programs for beginners to use, as the learning curve and price are a deterrent, so I would suggest a free, open source software.

It's more than good. It's beautiful, especially CS6. It's very easy to use and has MANY features. I would recommend it to everyone. :)

I wouldn't recommend starting out with Dreamweaver - it teaches bad habits. Once you've got the foundations down with just a simple editor (Notepad, Vim, etc) then you can move on to Dreamweaver to make your life a bit easier. I helped to instruct a web development & design class in high school. They started out with Dreamweaver and by the end of the school year (the class ran both semesters), it was like they hadn't learned anything. They still had trouble making basic sites and had a terrible time fixing even the smallest of problems.

I tried learning it very recently, actually. A friend made a really nice and professional website with it, so I got interested. After downloading and using it, I come to find that it will need time to learn it. I personally don't have the time for it, so I just gave up.

But I'm sure it's a very nice and handy program which has many features built into it.

I'd recommend Brackets from Adobe. It's a great software that has a feature that lets you see your website get updated in real-time. It's very responsive and lets you see how your code affects the appearance of your website.

I use Dreamweaver myself and I have to say it is a feature rich program. It's useful for experienced users to create a basic layout for their website. If you're building a custom website, it can definitely be useful if you're an experienced user. Otherwise, go with a different tool as pointed out earlier.

Well, I started out with notepad before getting to use Dreamweaver(8). At first, all I did was use the WYSIWYG interface to drag and drop tables. But like someone pointed out making websites with WYSIWYG interface isn't really a good idea. Since, I knew HTML and CSS already then, I graduated to using the code interface with div to build site. Maybe probably 'cause I enjoy typing my codes.

However, I think Dreamweaver is a good tool either for a professional or a newbie. As a newbie you can learn CSS faster with Dreamweaver. It also makes you code faster with its code highlight and many other features. Fact is, I've used a handful of programs and none has satisfied me like Dreamweaver(both the very old version and CS5+).

Last edited:
Back