What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Do You Prefer Big-Name Web Hosts or Smaller Ones?

LindaKay

We all know about the big-name web hosts, like GoDaddy. Do you prefer Web hosts like that, or do you look for smaller companies?

Well GoDaddy sucks let me tell ya. Big name hosts are not all they're cracked up to be trust me. Godaddy is hilarious with their pricing. You go in looking to spend about $5.00, and somehow they tack on a few things and your final purchase is $100+! Big name hosts are definitely not all they're cracked up to be.

I agree with NickJ Big name Hosts Companies have big purchasing price and that small companies have affordable price. So I will definitely prefer that company which is affordable for me.

I don't mind big name big priced companies though. Just as long as they're honest about it. Don't lure me in with a $5.00 purchase, and then by checkout raise my total to $90.00+! I wasn't born yesterday ya know!

A lot of the smaller companies are really really cheap, although there is a reason for this. They are usually new to the market and want to lure new customers in however you as a customer don't know if they will still be around in a year or whether their lack of experience in the industry will effect the quality of service that they are able to provide.

A lot of the smaller companies are really really cheap, although there is a reason for this. They are usually new to the market and want to lure new customers in however you as a customer don't know if they will still be around in a year or whether their lack of experience in the industry will effect the quality of service that they are able to provide.

Good point. I settle down with companies who have been around for 6 years or so. That's good enough for me. 4 years maybe. Anything under 3 is a no-no. 1 year is not even worth a glance at your listing.

Thanks for your answers, ya'll. I think I prefer in-between hosts that have been around for a while but that aren't huge yet. I am sort of wondering about Fat Cow. It looks like a pretty good host, and I have seen a lot of good reviews, but I have seen some pretty bad ones as well.

Every site is gonna have good and bad reviews. Trick is to go with whatever one you feel comfortable with personally. Whichever one makes you feel comfortable, and has passed your own personal stress tests.

Like NickJ, a lot of sites will tend to have both good and bad reviews but a quick look will usually help you determine whether those bad reviews are really justified. That's the problem with a lot of web hosting reviews, some of them are not at all helpful because they are just either lying or blaming the hosting service for something that they weren't responsible for.

I tend to always go with big-name web hosts really or some mid name web hosts. Personally, I would never really go for a small web host, even if they had really good discounts because you just can't guarantee whether they will stay afloat. With big companies, you know that the chances of something going wrong or them closing down suddenly are almost non-existant.

I'd be cautious and do a lot of research before committing to a small company. In fact, I would advise also doing the same with a bigger company - though, probably less would be needed. Anyway, though, I know new web hosting companies need business, but suffer from lack of credibility - but business is business. I cannot overlook inexperience.

I prefer webhosts that aren't owned by Endurance (EIG). Any webhost that you look up that's owned by EIG is a big red flag to stay away. EIG owns a lot of the "big names" in webhosting - they buy a host, outsource the support, overload the servers, and then suck the profits out of it. Stay far away from any webhost they own. You can read a lot of horror stories online about what EIG does to hosts. Don't get hosting from an EIG brand!

We all know about the big-name web hosts, like GoDaddy. Do you prefer Web hosts like that, or do you look for smaller companies?
I'm of the opinion that what's most important is for their hosting service to be top quality. It doesn't matter if it's a big name web hosts or small, what's important is high quality service. It's why I love using Namecheap.

That being said, both big-name and smaller web hosting providers have their pros and cons, and the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs and budget. Big-name hosting providers often offer more resources and better customer support, but they may come with higher costs and less flexibility. Smaller hosting providers may have more affordable pricing plans and customizable options, but they may have limited resources and support.
Therefore, when choosing a web hosting provider, it's essential to evaluate your needs, budget, and the features and services that the hosting provider offers. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other users to make an informed decision.

Back