What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Do you allow HTML editing in forum posts?

Wrong

... or do you only let your users edit their posts through BBCode?

I used to allow HTML until some troublesome users started messing around with the coding and would make some threads inaccessible using closing tags (like writing a post including '</body>'). There were also hackers who used iframes to link to pages that had malicious scripts. We had to ban it.

Never thought of allowing HTML in posts. I thought that's the kind of thing which can really mess up a page. Right? Bbcodes are good enough to add some extra flourish to a post.

Never thought of allowing HTML in posts. I thought that's the kind of thing which can really mess up a page. Right? Bbcodes are good enough to add some extra flourish to a post.

Yeah, I don't recommend it, but I did use to allow it. It was easier to post articles straight from the source that way, but if you have enough BBCodes to edit messages or a WYSIWYG editor, then you probably don't need to enable HTML at all.

Heck no. You covered the reasons for this in the original post. If someone needs to post code, they can do so using the
Code:
[code]
tags. HTML in posts is ALWAYS going to cause problems.

I would never allow HTML coding on a forum. Although it would be a nice feature for some, it boils down to the old "some bad apples spoil it for the rest of the bunch." Besides, you can do pretty much anything you want with BBCode anyway, so what's the point? The risk isn't worth the reward to me.

Nope. It's kind of a shame, too. It would be cool to be able to trust that everyone wouldn't abuse that, but the sad fact is, there's no way to guarantee that.

No. I know somebody would simply abuse it and I'd have to correct their damage, and I'd have to take it away within a day of its addition.

Back