What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Coding virus?

BuddyBoy

Hi everyone.

I’m experiencing a problem that betostles me, but hopefully not you.

First, a bit of history that I think will help you help me.

I don’t have a whole lotta experience at this. I’m an author and instead of continuing to be slaked by kindle et al (They take 65% plus printing costs, etc), I found a program called eMaestro with which I can use to download books in an .exe book reader of my own.

it’s a reader that I can set a password that works only with the email a customers uses when they purchase a book to cut down on piracy.

Anyway, the first step is to turn my books into html form. So, I spent 2 months learning enough to make the books and simple websites to advertise them.

Please excuse my lack of knowing names of things. I'm bad with names to begin and I don’t know a whole lot about html But I can make very pretty books.

I have 10 books I’m creating, of which 8 are a series of phonics learning books. Therefore, the style sheets are almost identical and they each use several of the same pages. (Author, dedication, bookshelf, price, and contact pages.)

A while back I had a similar problem. Due to my ignorance, I neglected to update notebook++. I didn’t realize its importance. When I would sign in, it would ask me to update. But come on. I’m in the zone to write or code. Why not ask when I go to close the program?
Well, I’ll never make that mistake again.

Out of the blue, 1 (element? selector?) of one book stopped working. If I remember correctly, it was a paragraph class with a set of rules that suddenly stopped working. Everything in that book’s html with the name .para4 (for example) lost its styling. Background color, border etc. suddenly disappeared. I solved the problem by deleting it on my style sheet, copying the same set of rules from another book’s stylesheet.

That was the end of it. Or so I thought. I read somewhere about if I don’t update my editor, it is vulnerable to hackers.

Recently, I was working on one of the books. It had a really nice color scheme for the paragraphs, buttons, borders, etc. It looked absolutely SMOKIN.

I’m down to tweaking the last page. I decided to add a banner up top. When I did this, suddenly the sentence below it lost its styling. Just a black text sentence on the left side of the page, instead of centered text with a background and border. I could have just deleted these 4 words and it would have been fine. It was my contact page and “Say hey to Goober” was already implied (Goober is the name-sake of my books. But what if it was something I could not do without? I was determined to figure out the problem.

The first thing I did was click undo to get rid of the header replacement I added. I brought the page back to it's original state.
No luck. Nothing I tried helped. Just the opposite. Things continued to get worse. Next, I noticed I lost my page border, then other pages page borders. Also, I checked to be sure I closed the new header replacement On my style sheet with a } so it wouldn't effect everything below it. I created it by copy/pasting another header replacement and changing the name and image to be used. As I mentioned, the HR worked fine.

Then I tried going into my html and changing the class to a different one on my style sheet that wasn't being used in this book, to no avail.

Next, I tried copy/pasting a different .para class, renamed it and changes the rules to be like the one that wasn't working. (border color, etc) STILL nothing

I copied the stylesheet to a word doc to use as reference. For fear that the corruption could travel back and forth, I used the word doc as reference to retype the entire sheet after I deleted and flushed the original. Still no luck. I took a stylesheet from a different book, changed all the colors and what not to match the ones for this book.

Then I made a real bonehead move. I saved the other books altered stylesheet back where it came from instead of in this books folder. Now I have two books without stylesheets.

I don’t know if it makes a difference, but this time I was using Komodo editor. (I tried downloading visual code editor, but every time I watched an instructional vid, I was unable to follow. They would say, click here and you will get this page. I would click there, but the page I got was different. This even happened when watching a vid about changing a rule so when I typed something, a suggestion box would pop up. I followed his steps, but got a json page and he had one different. The option to change from false to true was not there.)

This makes no sense to me. Why would one or two items in a stylesheet go bad and the rest continue to work as they should? The only thing I can think of is a virus of some kind.

I purchased better anti-virus and am about to reinstall windows to get rid of any possible problems hiding. (Along with the traces of visual code editor all over my file system)

With new anti-virus, I did find a trojan somewhere else on my pc. It was quarantined and I deleted it.

I need to correct this and I sure don’t want to go through it again. I lost at least 2 long weeks of work and worry I’ll never get the books looking quite as nice as I had them. Even worse, I fear all of them being totally destroyed and I dont think I have it in me to start over.

I’ve been scouring the web for weeks and cannot find anything close to this problem discussed. (More lost time) Every time the subject comes up it's the entire stylesheet and answers concerning browser incompatibility, code mistakes, UTF-8 or 16 and so forth. How could that be it? Especially when I tried a different, yet basically exact same stylesheet which works with a similar book?

Hopefully, I’ve explained it well enough so someone with much more knowledge than I have doesn’t waste their time with answers to other causes. I most likely wrote more than yo need to know, but better more than less. I want to make it as easy for you as possible.

Everything worked fine before I added a simple header replacement, which worked fine, except for what happened to the next line on the page. I wonder if the timing of the two events are coincidental.

Here are a few examples of what I've been able to do. Some pretty tricky stuff, for me that is. 🤣 Then to have one simple 4 word sentence go bad with seemingly no answers is crazy aggravating. It looked much like the example1 image, except the header and the following sentence were blended on top of each other.

And, then to top it, the page borders to disappear is mind boggling. I think there was something else but I forget and I'm afraid to go back into the editor for fear things will get worse until I get answers. Over the past year, I've worked so hard and learned (became highly familiarized with) so many different things my head is spinning and to be quite honest, this is heart breaking.

And even replacing with a similar style sheet that worked in a similar book, did not work here. The only thing I can think of is some kind of virus, which I don’t see much mention of in my searches.

Thanks for reading.
BuddyBoy

Attachments

• abc.png
    abc.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 1
  • bookshelf.png
    bookshelf.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 1
  • toc page.png
    toc page.png
    607.7 KB · Views: 1