What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Using a split screen

RobertWA

I want to create a page in which the screen is split vertically into two unequal parts. The left part will include a list of clickable links and the right part will be where those links will open.

I know I can do this using columns and iframes. However when I do this I have a problem with scroll bars.

For example, if the content which opens in the right hand column is longer than the screen height, then scroll bars are introduced to let me see the rest of the document. Good idea, but it doesn’t let me see ALL of the rest of the document. To do this I have to use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen (ie the full page not just the right hand column) to scroll down, then use my column scroll bar to see the rest of my document.

So what I want to be able to do is have my menu on the left (this will always be short enough to fit on the screen so no scrolling is required there), and my content opening in the rest of the page in such a way that if I have to scroll down I need only to do it once, ie with the main page scroll bar.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Back