What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Set html website to no-index

Annie

Hi,
I usually work with WordPress and know little about HTML so far.😊

I do have an old HTML website, that I uploaded to a staging site on my hosting server here:
https://u114019p110086.web0138.zxcs-klant.nl/html/

I just need it there for a while, for testing purposes, and I do not want this to appear in search results.

In the index HTML, I found:

<meta name="REVISIT-AFTER" content="31 DAYS" />
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL" />

I removed those two and replaced it by:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">

Is this the correct way to prevent this complete HTML site in test folder to NOT appear in search results, please?

Thanks!
Annie

Hi,
I usually work with WordPress and know little about HTML so far.😊

I do have an old HTML website, that I uploaded to a staging site on my hosting server here:
https://u114019p110086.web0138.zxcs-klant.nl/html/

I just need it there for a while, for testing purposes, and I do not want this to appear in search results.

In the index HTML, I found:

<meta name="REVISIT-AFTER" content="31 DAYS" />
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL" />

I removed those two and replaced it by:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">

Is this the correct way to prevent this complete HTML site in test folder to NOT appear in search results, please?

Thanks!
Annie
I believe what you're looking for is this:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">

Here is a resource to help explain what I'm referring to.

Hi bretbernhoft,

Thanks for the useful information.
Sorry I responded late, I did not seem to have received an email notification.

To set a website to "no-index," you can add the following meta tag in the head of the HTML document:

phpCopy code
<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

This tag informs search engines not to index the page. Note that this tag may not take effect immediately and may take a few days or weeks to take effect.

Back