What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Possible to trigger an action in an HTML site via sending an SMS Text to a web based phone number?

bfdnamkd

New-ish to HTML and custom web design in general. I'm exploring a half-baked idea and hoping to see what's actually possible. I've found a lot of information about implementing something in a website that can send out an SMS Text - I'm interested in the opposite. Is there some API/software/service I can utilize or manipulate to allow for a user to send a text to a phone number (Google Voice number or something similar?); upon receipt have said text ingested and scanned for predetermined strings of characters set to trigger a corresponding event/action - in real time within a live HTML website. I'm of course aware implementing such a set up is above my current skillset but I am curious if it would be possible at all; willing to learn and enjoy a challenge. Appreciate any ideas/replies/thoughts - let me know if it's unclear what I'm looking for here. Additionally, let me know if HTML isn't a logical host for something like this / point me down a different path. Thanks!

Back