What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

New to Graphics

harebrainedknits

Hi everyone,
I do some hand drawn graphics for site design, however, I'd love to learn how to do traditional graphic design. Do I need to take classes at a community college to do this or is there a better way? I'd really love to find some comprehensive tutorials for inkscape and gimp to learn how to make company logos and graphic work for websites. Any advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated!

Self studying is a lot cheaper and with all the resources we have now, I think it's become a lot more practical than the alternative. However, if you plan on using it to get a job, you might want some certification of some sort, but otherwise, if you can get good enough at it to get yourself some jobs, you can learn the rest as you work. Just look for lessons and tutorials on fundamentals from articles and videos, and just duplicate/follow the exercises because it's basically what teachers at a university will have you do anyway. Again, both options are equally good, but studying on your own and having to find your own lessons topics might be daunting. I'd say just look into making the general things that people ask for like logos, websites, etc. and the tools that other people would use to make them.

A quick search returned many results for free online graphic design courses. It is interesting that Graphic Designers rely heavily on specific environmental elements when drawing and customizing their work. One highlight I saw was that the designer has a vast landscape on which to shape their work and with the various tools such as AutoCad designing has become less difficult to achieve.

Please review this sample course to understand the basics of Graphic Design: http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/web/50-totally-free-lessons-in-graphic-design-theory/.

Have fun!

It is very easy for you to take online classes and learn almost everything you need to learn about how to become proficient in graphic designing. It was a exactly the step I took when I wanted to learn.

Back