What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Intro to Graphic Design?

jayrob2212

I would love to get into the graphic design world, but I cannot go back to school.

What are some ways I can teach myself? What are the basics? What tools are necessary?

I think it depends on the scope of your work. You can set yourself up with some free resources and software, such as Pixlr's online editor software which emulates Photoshop .Most professional-level work is created with professional-level software, though. I would personally start with some Youtube tutorials and if you maintain your interest start shopping around for books. I think a good textbook would be worth the investment, especially if it acts as something that you would utilize if you were in school, which would be your best bet to learn the most (but also the most expensive option).

I think it depends on the scope of your work. You can set yourself up with some free resources and software, such as Pixlr's online editor software which emulates Photoshop .Most professional-level work is created with professional-level software, though. I would personally start with some Youtube tutorials and if you maintain your interest start shopping around for books. I think a good textbook would be worth the investment, especially if it acts as something that you would utilize if you were in school, which would be your best bet to learn the most (but also the most expensive option).

Awesome advice, I will definitely look into getting some books and stuff!

I think the one thing about graphic design and a lot of similar topics is that you can very easily learn all about it from just looking at the internet. There are actually a lot of different places that you can learn about it and get a proper introduction into it. I would recommend that you have a look at YouTube because there will be a lot of videos for you that will help you decide what software to use. Once you have chosen a software, have a look at more videos and even some online tutorials which will give you different ways to use the software to design graphics and give you tips on how to take advantage of all the tools as well.

Learning graphics takes time and practice . I think a beginner should pay attention to typography. It is simply the art and technique of arranging type. It's central to the skills of a designer and is about much more than making the words legible. This article explains the fundamental concepts and key terminology of typography.

I would love to get into the graphic design world, but I cannot go back to school.

What are some ways I can teach myself? What are the basics? What tools are necessary?
I started out learning how to become very good in graphic designing using Canva. It depends on the resources that is available to you to start out with. You can either make use of canva or Photoshop, then you can go to YouTube channel and watch a lot of resource video on how to start out your career as a graphic designer.

Back