What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Encrypting HTML

Wrong

There are a few online tools that enable you to encrypt HTML to avoid getting ripped off by people who check your site's source code. They don't always guarantee complete safety against copycats, but at least they can keep the dumb ones and the newbies away. :p

This is one, for example: http://www.smartgb.com/free_encrypthtml.php. It uses a javascript-based script. With some tweaking, however, you can make your codes work on your site only. I did this for one of my sites (actually it wasn't really me, I got help), and that way everyone who tried to copy my stuff got a blank page. *evil laugh*

You need to find some alternative options for your client. SE have impact if you encrypt them. As a developer you better understand about WEB2.0 standard and different validations like W3.

Encrypting your HTML is rather useless in my opinion. Even without the source code it is fairly easy to imitate a site's look, and noobs generally aren't going to have a popular site that many people will notice anyways.

Encrypting your HTML is rather useless in my opinion. Even without the source code it is fairly easy to imitate a site's look, and noobs generally aren't going to have a popular site that many people will notice anyways.

I agree with this to some extent. Sure most of us will never have an application which requires secure programming, but some of us will have very confidential or sensitive data or code saved on the site and really need the extra security. One of the strongest encryption techniques out there, Ioncube, is basically impenetrable by 99% of web developers. It's used in very high profile work like blackhole exploit kit, and Andromeda botnet, 2 huge malware software.

I agree with this to some extent. Sure most of us will never have an application which requires secure programming, but some of us will have very confidential or sensitive data or code saved on the site and really need the extra security. One of the strongest encryption techniques out there, Ioncube, is basically impenetrable by 99% of web developers. It's used in very high profile work like blackhole exploit kit, and Andromeda botnet, 2 huge malware software.

I've seen IonCube before and it is somewhat necessary I guess because PHP is not a compiled language so it is so easy for anyone to look at the source code of the software they are running which most commercial developers want to avoid. HTML however should never have confidential data in it that is being presented to the public so I still don't see the point.

I've seen IonCube before and it is somewhat necessary I guess because PHP is not a compiled language so it is so easy for anyone to look at the source code of the software they are running which most commercial developers want to avoid. HTML however should never have confidential data in it that is being presented to the public so I still don't see the point.

Well it is actually mostly seen in illegal use scenarios. Criminals often use it to stop other criminals and cops from decrypting any of the files and getting some sort of information.

Back