What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Css3

Wrong

CSS3 is the latest version for Cascade Style Sheets available (for now). Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera support it, whereas IE (versions 7 and 8, not sure about 9) doesn't. You can do all kinds of things and get very cool features with CSS3, like rounded edges and animations. However, using CSS3 excessively may slow things down a lot, especially making scrolling down painful in some browsers.

Want to see it in action? Here are a few demos: css3.info/preview/

One of the coolest ones is the transition one => css3.info/preview/css3-transitions/

Have you used CSS3 for your site? What for?

I use it for things like rounded corners, text shadows etc.
Things like background-size are also pretty convenient.

It's terribly annoying though that IE doesn't support it,
as this usually means creating separate stylesheets with workarounds for IE.

Agreed, browser compatibility can be a real b***h. CSS hacks are not easy to code either, it can take a looooooong while to make a site even look decent on IE 7 and 8. Most webmasters have already crossed IE 6 of their lists, since it's so terribly outdated that they don't even want to make their sites work for it.

I use it for the same. Instead of making workarounds for IE, I just use it for enhancing pages on other browsers.

Agreed, browser compatibility can be a real b***h. CSS hacks are not easy to code either, it can take a looooooong while to make a site even look decent on IE 7 and 8. Most webmasters have already crossed IE 6 of their lists, since it's so terribly outdated that they don't even want to make their sites work for it.

Most developers have already dropped IE7 support. Now that mobile platforms are becoming more common, we should have less users with outdated browsers!

I use CSS3 and HTML5 for everything now. Even though every once in a while it gives me a massive coding headache. I don't see a point in switching back and forth between difference CSS versions, just to kowtow to one particular manufacturer of browser software.

I mostly use CSS3 for Gradients, Rounded Corners, and some of extended styles. Unfortunately, earlier IE doesnt support it much and though there are many issues with IE, I think that earlier versions of IE are nearing their end, and as such, though there are some areas where I opt for the CSS hacks, for the majority of them, I leave them unattended. I prefer to provide a notice on the web page instead - "best viewed in RESOLUTION on FF,Chrome, Safari, IE 10+" :D

I use CSS3 for rounded corners, boxes shadow, text effects and pretty much anything that needs its use. But, some earlier versions of IE that have no support for CSS3 tend to bring about problem. Before, I do some CSS hacks just to minimize the problem. Now, I don't bother myself with that anymore. Why should you use those IEs in the first place?

I use CSS hacks quite so often. It gives me some though times many times but I still like to stick with it. I just believe it the best for my web.

I never wanted to learn computer programming until I launched my own websites. I was an online writer and I required was to know was how to produce SEO article and market it through various marketing channels. Then one day I launched my own website. I had no knowledge of programming, therefore, there was limited knowledge on what I could do.. Hence, I had this desire to learn Cascade Style Sheets aka CSS. I even enrolled in a class, however, owing to my hectic schedule I could not learn.

Back